Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Math and Social Studies Integration

As a teaching candidate who hopes to become a multicultural educator, I like the idea of integrating social studies with as many different subjects as possible.  Its beneficial for all people to be able to use multiple disciplines to understand how society works.  Therefore, I was thrilled to learn that all of the math units at my main placement integrated math and social studies.  For example, the essential question for the last unit on ratio, fraction, decimals, and percentages was:  How do ratios, fractions, decimals and percentages affect how people perceive the world?  Then the students learn how to use these mathematical concepts while studying a kid related issue in their chosen country.

I had the privilege of launching the students' next unit, geometry.  This time, the students will use geometric lines and shapes to create a quilt square that represents gender equity.  We started by reading a picture book called Sam Johnson and the Blue Ribbon Quilt by Lisa Campbell Ernst.  We had a fascinating conversation about gender roles, equality and equity.  Then the students brainstormed a list of terms, tools, concepts that they would need to learn in able to successfully complete their final project.

It just so happened that a formal observation was scheduled during this launch.  It took quite a lot of explanation for me to convey to my field instructor why we considered this a math lesson.  I still don't think she is convinced that a math unit integrated so heavily with social studies will work.  But I'm excited.  I can't wait to see what the kids come up with.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an awesome opportunity to teach students about math and the world - making it relevant to student’s lives. My class is starting fractions, decimals and percentages this week. They are also currently learning about a country of choice, and writing a big report about everything having to do with that country. I should get with you to see how you integrated these ideas!
    What curriculum are you using? What other connections, between math and social studies, have you seen in previous lessons? Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison lent me this cool picture book called If the World Were a Village: A Book about the World's People, by David J. Smith. It takes all of the demographics of the people in the world and condenses it into a village of 100 people (percentages!). You can use this book to look at ratios, percentages and fractions. Apparently its what our CTs used to launch that unit, which I didn't get to see. Let me know if you want to see it. I'm sure Allison won't mind if you borrow it for a lesson.

    As for other connections, the students learned about how cultures shape math by inventing their own cultures with its own base system (other than 10). They reviewed ancient cultures which used different bases and who invented the place holder '0'. This covered the first unit where the standards called for students to be able to perform basic math operations in base 10. If they could do operations in a different base, then they can definitely do it in base 10.

    ReplyDelete