I have a hard time grading students' writing. Its so easy to grade conventions because there is a standard to grade against. However, when it comes to ideas, voice, content, etc. I feel conflicted. I know what I like to read and what constitutes good writing for me. But I don't believe that it is the same for everyone I've compared my grading of the same sample with those of both of my cooperating teachers and they were always off. My problem is that so many of standards in the grading rubric are subjective. For example:
- Beginning/introduction creatively draws reader in and includes a strong topic.
- Consistantly uses a variety of smooth and effective transitions that tie ideas together.
- Words are consistently vivid, precise, and natural.
- Language adds interest to ideas and consistently fits audience and purpose.
What makes an introduction creative and strong? By whose standards? Well, the teacher's, obviously. But what if teachers disagree? What constitutes a "variety" of smooth and effective transitions: 3, 4, 5 or more? Which words are considered vivid, precise, and natural? Some words that might be natural for one student would be unnatural for others. What if the word is fairly common, but is vivid for the particular student? What if I'm not interested in their ideas? Do they get a zero for that last standard?
These examples came from the scoring rubrics that I have seen at my main placement and dyad placement. I prefer the 6 traits scoring rubric myself, but even that is subjective. When I get my own classroom, I hope to go over the scoring rubric with the students and set expectations. I don't want them to guess what I mean by using voice and transitions. I want them to know what I expect from them. Hopefully it will help.
What experience have you guys had with scoring students' writing? Do you find that you agree with your CT's grading style?
This was an interesting and thought provoking read. I haven't actually graded any writing yet, but I have been reading and providing feedback to students writing. As we began to help students edit their memoirs the other day, I asked my CT, "How much editing help should I provide?" This is a tough question. Do I show them where all their mistakes are? Do I guide them to areas that can be improved without telling them exactly how but letting them explore? It's a challenge. As we talked about writing my CT mentioned how difficult it is to teach, for many of the reasons you have mentioned. It is a very subjective process.
ReplyDeleteThe one area that seems the clearest to me after reading their writing is student voice, which always seemed like the most difficult area to grade. But when I read the words on the paper and can actually here the student talking, I know that paper has the student's voice. It is really fun too because the picture that pops into my head changes with voice. It is no longer just words on the page, but a story directly from them. It isn't a paper with flowery words that seem unnatural and forced. It is them sitting next to me, telling me their story.
You raise a very good question, one about which I have decided, it is hard to agree. Both my main placement, and dyad teachers explained their grading when they graded writing which was a valuable experience. In my dyad placement, it was a long process, because teachers sat down for an hour, each week, to calibrate their scoring. I like your idea of going over the rubric and setting expectations with the students.
ReplyDelete