Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Math Talk

I got to engage in some math talk in small groups today.  The students were put into groups of 6-8 and had to rotate between stations for 20 minutes at a time.  The students were to complete a worksheet at my station.  My cooperating teacher told me that I could lead them in solving the problems or simply stand by to answer any questions they had.  I decided that this would be a great time to practice some small group math talk like we had been doing in our math methods class.  

 I told the students that they had to complete the worksheets together.  That did not mean that they could work on it alone then simply compare answers.  They had to share their ideas before they could even begin to solve it.  The result was fascinating.  Rather than simply applying formulas to figure out percentages and proportions, the students got creative.  They spent so much time discussing different strategies and mathematical ideas for each problem that no one was able to finish the worksheet in 20 minutes.  I was thrilled.  I knew that the students would be able to quickly solve the problems if I gave them an algorithm to use.  But then what would they truly be learning?  No, I wanted them to really think about the math that they were doing.

The students didn't disappoint me.  They shared their ideas and confusions with each other.  They agreed and disagreed with each other respectfully.  They looked for more than one strategy to solve a problem and then discussed which one would be the most effective.  I didn't teach a single thing.  I asked them questions about their choices.  I encouraged students to speak up and ask their own questions or share their ideas in progress.  I revoiced some of their ideas and asked them to add on.  I even got sucked into trying to come up with a creative, yet logical, way to solve a problem.  I shared my idea, we tried it out, then we discarded it because it was too complicated.

At the end of math, we all got back together in a whole group to discuss what we learned.  I felt so proud to hear several of my students talk about the fun challenge of solving problems with a group. 

4 comments:

  1. Maly! I so appreciate the way you created this opportunity to engage students in mathematical discussion. You were quick on your toes and used what you know about orienting children to each other - in this case helping them collaborate about their ideas prior to getting into solving. And the way the students dug into rich discussion that, as you say, pointed them toward a conceptual understanding of the ideas and concepts they were studying, is brilliant. Maly, I want to understand more about what you mean when you say you didn't teach anything. Because you DID teach - you were supporting these young mathematicians in knowing that mathematics is about problem solving and sharing ideas in progress and persisting through errors. I'm thrilled to read about your experience and I'm so curious to know what the students said about this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Allison! I was being hyperbolic when I said I didn't teach anything. What I meant to say was that I didn't give any lectures or tell them what rules to use. I was actually helping them get acquainted with a new strategy for thinking and talking about math. It was a lot of fun and very fascinating to hear all their ideas. Even if an idea didn't pan out, I could start to see how they were using their logic to help solve a problem. Aside from one student, who was under the weather, all of the students were fully engaged. Some talked more than others, but those who weren't talking they were actively listening and testing out each other's ideas on their white boards. Even those who normally doodle or zone out during math were actively involved in the discussions. It was a very rewarding experience. I can't to get my own classroom and do this every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great opportunity and experience. Thanks for sharing. It's fun to see our classes come to life with young minds.

    I did a literacy lesson the other day, and as I traded spots with the main teacher I wondered why Allison's face had popped into my mind as we discussed evidence and inference with second graders. Then I realized I had said, "Can you add on to that idea..." I chuckled to myself. Allison, you are in all our subject areas!!! Thanks for the great teaching tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Did you notice that chapter 5 of Ready, Set, Science is all the same talk moves as we learned in math? These tools of helping students voice their ideas and listen carefully to the thinking of others ARE important in all our subjects!

      Thanks for sharing your story about the small groups! - It's so wonderful to have these tools to pull out in these times! Great job pushing your students to think deeply.

      I am curious about how others have used these talk moves - maybe in different subjects ...

      Delete