Ideas and stories to help me learn how to become an effective multicultural educator.
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Health Ed
We had the first day of summer school today and I'm excited to learn all about health education. What I'm really curious to learn more about is how to include different cultures in the topic of health, which will ultimately include subtopics like physical education, mental and emotional health, competition, sex ed (yikes!), nutrition and hygeine. Even though I wasn't terribly athletic as a grade schooler, I enjoyed physical activities like sports, relay races, double dutch, etc. However, I always wondered what it was like for the kids who weren't very good at sports. I recall PE being a source of much dread and humilitation for some. Since it is important to build a sense of community and inclusion in the classroom, how do you incorporate physical education in a way that doesn't alienate and humiliate the less coordinated? And furthermore, how do you address the differences in opinions of health when we live in such a culturally diverse world? Thats one of the reason why I am excited to be doing the microteaching lesson on personal health. I hope that will give me a better insight into diversity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment