Author Lenore Look visited our school a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be there for her visit, but I got to read a beautiful blog post she wrote about it.
During her visit, she witnessed something that she thought was worth writing down. She told the story of how one boy was performing magic tricks for her and a small group of students having lunch with her. At one point, the boy messed up a trick. This is her account of what happened next:
Reese* froze.
“We still love you, Reese,” James* shouted without missing a beat.
“Yeah, we still love your tricks,” said Brad*, Jame’s older brother, who was sitting next to
him.
Then many shouts of “Yeah, we still love you, Reese,” surrounded Reese and filled the library.
I have never in my life heard so many children heal another child like that, on the spot.
It was truly amazing.
She reminded me of something important. She reminded me that students do amazing things all of the time and that we should look for it and celebrate it. She reminded me that these things are worth writing down. Because I can't say it in better words than the author herself, I'll post what she wrote:
"What I didn’t tell them was, sometimes, something will happen that you will never forget. You see it over and over. You hear it again and again. It stays with you forever. It changes you. You don’t need to write it down. But you should. Then you should tell everyone you know so that they can write it too — on their hearts — and be changed."
*Students names were changed to protect their privacy
No comments:
Post a Comment