Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Final Winter Qtr Blog

I am supposed to blog about how I have grown at being public as a teacher this quarter.  I have to say that I am not quite there yet.  That is not to say that I don't want to be transparent in my teaching.  I do want to be public and transparent.  But I need to concentrate on one thing at a time.  This quarter I have been focused on learning teaching methods and looking at the research behind them.  I want to have a solid grasp of these things before I start entering conversations with other educators.  I'm a newbie and, frankly, I don't have enough experience with public school kids yet to "contribute to someone else’s learning by commenting/linking to their blog."  That is not to say that I won't get tons of experience this coming spring quarter when I actually take over the class.  I trust myself to do what is best for my kids.  Right now, I get the most out of my feedback from the kids and my mentor teacher.  I do my best to make my teaching transparent to them.  As I take over the class website, I will be able to make my teaching transparent to their families as well.  And now that I won't be so busy with methods classes, I will have more time and energy to focus on learning from the broader education community.  I can't, or don't want to, force connections though.  When I start linking my blogs to other people's blogs, I want it to be because I genuinely think its worth linking.    The professional conversation has been one-sided so far (I have been learning from other educators and researchers), and I think that is ok for where I am right now as a teacher.  My feet are barely wet.  I do plan on doing a lot of splashing around next quarter so that I will be ready to dive right in when I (hopefully) have my own classroom next year.  No, I am not resisting technology and networking.  I just approach it at a different pace than what is expected based on these assignments.  I just want the chance to make a few more connections between what I've learned in class and what I do in the classroom as a teacher before I enter into conversations outside of the cohort.  So far, I have commented on a couple of outside blogs, but it was mostly to thank them for sharing their experience and knowledge.  I have re-tweeted links that I think are notable.  I have diigo'd articles that I think might be interesting to the cohort.  And I do like blogging, even if I don't get to it regularly.  I do plan to keep it up, though it might not be with this starter blog.  And I really do enjoy reading other people's blogs and articles.  I know that I have so much to learn and that there are so many people out there to learn from.  I will make those connections and enter into conversations.  And it will be genuine and thoughtful, not forced and rushed.  I got into teaching because I want to help make a difference in the world.  To do that, I know I can't stay inside a box forever.  I know I need to get out there and make my voice heard.  However, I want my voice to be educated and backed up by knowledge and/or experience.  My education in education is just getting started and I can't wait to learn more and continue to grow. 

1 comment:

  1. Completely understandable.

    And I want you to think about the value of good questions or the value of making connections that aren't yet always clear, sort of like you do in talk turns, like you do when you listen closely to your kids.

    You say here "Right now, I get the most out of my feedback from the kids" and that's completely true. And it's not because they've become experts in your teaching. And you don't have to be an expert to contribute to the conversation.

    I've seen you over this year asking great questions, bringing distinctive perspectives, adding your experiences to conversations (here, especially).

    Conversation is not always among "experts". It's also often about asking just the right honest question at the right time or connecting two things that haven't yet been connected.

    Just like teaching, right? It's only partly about talking about the things we're expert in. Most of it, though is something else altogether.

    So take your time.

    But know that you already have so much to add. Honest.

    ReplyDelete