It wasn't surprising that the high-cap kids in my class had a hard time getting started. Sometimes, when you are given this much creative license, its hard to know where to begin. So I gave them some abstract words to define by using metaphors, such as freedom. I asked them to describe freedom, then link those descriptions to actual objects. You'll see some of the kids' work on freedom below.
Once their brains got warmed up, they were let loose to write and illustrate their metaphors. There were some confusion about similes, but we worked out the kinks for the most part. Keep in mind that the students had one class period to finish their product (though some opted to take them home to complete). Presenting...my 8th grade students' visual metaphors:
Gorgeous! And what a great way to present them.
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! I am super impressed that they created these in one class period. I love how you created a photostory type of presentation for them. It really gives their work the appreciation and credit they deserve! Very cool!
ReplyDelete