Friday, April 13, 2012

Remembering where I'm from

After reading this week's chapter by Linda Chirstensen, I was inspired to work on my own "Where I'm From" poem.  I've written one before for another class but I don't remember it.  For some reason, I felt like rhyming tonight.  Maybe I'm getting too used to reading Dr. Suess books.  I just love reading and hearing things that rhyme.  The rhythm of it makes me want to bob my head up and down. 

Anyways, I worked on my own poem tonight.  Its finished for now, maybe I'll change it later.  When I read it out loud to hear its rhythm, I have to admit that I teared up a little.  I was thinking a lot about my parents.  This poem can only say so much and their story is their own to tell.  Though our family life when I was a child was not peaceful, or safe and secure, I admire my parents for their bravery.  It took me a while to be brave too, but I'm getting there.  I have 5 surviving siblings.  My mom confided in my husband that when I was born, I was foretold to be a lucky one.  I don't work nearly as hard as my parents but I have so much more than they ever did.  I do attribute much of my good fortune to luck (and a truly patient husband), so I guess she was right.  This poem is for them.  I hope you guys enjoy the rhythm.



I am from food stamps and family
sewing machines and fist fights
(I'm the baby with the big noggin)

from rose gardens and gunshots
and sirens at night

I am from grocery cart vendors
and the corner mercados
from Nay and from Khan
and the Killing Fields too

I am from respect your elders
and the golden rule
from you must always help your family
and concentrate on school

I am from famine and feasts
our ancestors ate first
from mangoes and rice noodles
and jasmine water for thirst

I am from peeling yellow photographs
and a story filled with tears
from my mother's warm embrace
and my father's anger and fear

I am from luck and survival
strength and belt lashes
rage, love and laughter
and hope rising from ashes

2 comments:

  1. Maly - I love this poem! It is truly powerful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem is absolutely beautiful - It brought me to tears when I first read it and again today when I logged on to comment. Thank you for sharing this part of your story! You inspired me to begin to think more deeply about my own story and the impact it will have on my teaching. I realized that honoring (or sometimes accepting)our own beginnings helps us to honor those of the students in our classrooms. I cannot thank you enough for your honesty and authenticity. Your love for your family shines through your hopeful, beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete