The
following is a depiction of my ideal classroom (which I’m sure will change as I
learn and grow).
The students will walk in on their
first day of school and will notice a pretty bare classroom. It will be their canvass. The room will beckon the kids to bring it to
life, and so will I. The middle of the
room will be bare except for some rugs.
This will be where we will meet as a large group to listen and
discuss. We would meet in a circle on
the rug once in the morning, once before or after lunch and once in the
afternoon. This will be a time where we
can check in on each other as a group, share ideas or ask questions, and give
the occasional whole group lesson.
Before or after lunch circle would be a good time to read a story out
loud. Even big kids (and adults) need
time to chill.
One wall will be lined with empty
“lockers” which is really just some oversized open cubbies with a hook for
their coats or backpacks. The kids won’t
have their own desk, so this will be their personal space. They will be asked to decorate their space to
make it their own. They could bring
pictures from home, drawings, magazine or newspaper articles, letters, scarves,
pretty much whatever they would like to decorate their cubbies. Of course, I would warn them about damage or
theft so anything truly valuable should be kept at home. A copy or a drawing of the valuable item
should suffice. Their lockers are their
home base.
Another wall would house computers,
about half a dozen (I’m pretending I have a fifth or sixth grade class). These computers would be an open resource for
the kids to look up information or create digital work. Why only half a dozen? Well, I want all of my different work spaces
to have a limited amount of capacity. It
won’t be a secret that I want the children to work on patience, self-control
and courtesy. Realistically, most people
are faced with limited resources and must learn to work within those
restraints. I will explain to the
children explicitly that I expect them to exercise their manners and their
patience when waiting to use a resource.
We will, as a group, discuss rules for usage at the beginning of class
and will probably have to discuss and revise our rules throughout the school
year as unforeseen problems arise.
Of course, we would have to have a
classroom library. I would love to have
at least one large or two smaller book cases which will house a variety of
fiction and non-fiction work. We would
add to this collection as years go by, adding more bookcases as necessary. Near the books there will be some pillows and
chairs where children can do independent reading. Then there will be a couple of smaller tables
for those who are doing research.
One corner of the classroom will house a
mini kitchen much like Ayers’ classroom kitchen. It would have a sink, a mini fridge, a
toaster oven, a hot plate, and the typical kitchen utensils. There will be a big butcher block island
(much like one you can get at IKEA) where groups of students can gather around
and experiment with recipes.
The rest of the space around the
classroom will be occupied by work spaces of different levels and
purposes. There would be tall tables
where student can stand to do experiments.
There will be small tables where children can meet in small groups to
work on a project. There will be low
tables (like coffee tables) where students can sit on the floor and work. Then of course there is clear floor space (in
the center) where students can spread out.
I would have a large closet or a row of freestanding closets to house
supplies.
The room would be large and
spacious of course. There will be large windows with window seats (a perfect space for thinking and journaling) and nooks and crannies for the kids to retreat to. Some tables will
have individual lamps for extra lighting.
It will be a class where children will need to walk around and
explore. Oh yeah, and I would like my
own desk, if only because I like having a comfortable chair and a place to
store all of my notes and student files. Plus, like the student lockers, I would need my own personal space to reflect who I am.
Love this. Let's make it happen!
ReplyDelete